View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:48 pm

Firmware problems / Custom ROMs 
Site Admin

Post Firmware problems / Custom ROMs
The app may give you this notice:

Firmware problem
Your firmware seems to have a bug. I do not have write permissions to store
preferences. This usually happens only on custom ROMs but some official updates
are also affected (Samsung 2.2). Please complain to the creator of the firmware
and hope that they will fix it in a future version. The only way to fix this now
is to factory reset your phone. More info on our forum (and a fix if you have root).

Alarms and profiles are saved correctly and alarms will ring. But some other settings will not be saved.

What is this?
Some phones, when updating or reinstalling an application, give the application a new identity. If the app had any settings still left on the device (and some firmware doesn't delete all settings when uninstalling), the app will then not be allowed to read/write the settings as it now has a new identity. It is treated like a spy app that illegally wants to spy on your data.

Alarms and profiles are stored in databases, those are fine. All other settings are affected. If the app recognizes this problem, it stores the most important settings in a file on SD card, but not all settings. For example, the font color, or the flightmode setting for the night display are not saved. They will be saved as long as the app runs, but when you do a force-stop in your application manager, the app will lose these settings.

Alarms will ring just fine, you just can't use many of the extra features. Pretty much anything in the settings and anything in the customization menus won't work.

How do I fix it?
You can flash your firmware. You can wait for an update of your firmware. In the latter case you must uninstall the app and then reinstall.

Or, if you are root, you can fix it now (you may first want to make a backup of your data in menu/settings):
Delete the following folders:
/data/data/com.mobitobi.android.gentlealarm
/dbdata/databases/com.mobitobi.android.gentlealarm

Then reinstall the app. Reinstalling is free. Contact me if you have problems.

Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:58 am
Profile Send private message

Post Re: Firmware problems / Custom ROMs
Hi,
this error occurs also on HTC Desire HD with Vodafone branded Gingerbread (2.3.3). Removing Gentle Alarm Widget which was also installed the error has gone. Could it be that the widget causes the error?
Best regards,
shotokan

Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:39 am
Site Admin

I have heard this from another user, too. So maybe there is something to it. I just don't know what. From a technical standpoint, the widget and main app are completely separate. They do not share anything. They don't even communicate with each other. Both communicate only with Android which relays the messages.

That being said, they are signed with the same signature identifying me as a developer. But that shouldn't matter unless your firmware sets permissions specific to a signatures and not to package names. That wouldn't make any sense.

If anybody has more experience with this, let me know. I just put a custom ROM on one of my development phones just so I can hopefully cause this error myself.

Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:06 am

Glad this was a freebie from Amazon. I'd be pissed if I had paid. I get the above mentioned error ever since the last update. Was working fine til then on an official rom, not custom. I am rooted an tried deleting the above folders then reinstalling. No good. No changes to the OS. (2.2.2 from Dell) Guess I'm back to the stock clock.

Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:41 pm
Site Admin

Would one of you please contact me at android at mobitobi dot com? It looks like there may be a different problem with the HTC then.

Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:28 pm

I apologize for my earlier scathing remarks. Yes, the updated bombed on my Dell Streak. I've got it working though. I actually uninstalled it, then did a factory reset and loaded a new ROM. I did a clean install and it's working just fine.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:45 pm
Site Admin

Thanks for letting me know. I did some changes for 3.2.0. There's a possibility that the app falsely claims that there's a problem. This could happen if the algorithm detecting the firmware problem doesn't work on the HTC. In that case, the app would restrict some of the functionality without reason. I would really like to investigate this.

If you get the "Firmware problem" message, please contact me. I am determined to help.

Please understand that all of this is just a really pain for me as a devloper as well. There are many well known apps that simply post on the market description "On some phones, like Samsung 2.2.3, settings may not be saved due to a firmware bug. You need to factory reset your phone to fix it." And then repeat the process after each update...

I spent a lot of time and effort so that the app still works on those phones (even though you get the annoying message) by finding alternative ways to save some of the most important settings. But I can't save all settings with this alternative way because it is significantly slower. You wouldn't believe how complicated this crap can be. The app now runs on 465 (!) different devices. It is a miracle, that there are not more problems.

Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:36 am