View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:43 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Tasker 
Site Admin

Post Tasker
Since version 3.0, Gentle Alarm supports Tasker (the Gentle Alarm Trial version has only limited Tasker support). This post describes the events and actions that GA exposes to Tasker. If you use Tasker, please post here what you do, maybe with some additional info so people new to Tasker can replicate what you did.

Also, if you would like to do something that is currently not yet possible, post here what you would like to see and I will collect the suggestions in this post. Please note that many of the requests made on this forum have already been implemented.

PART 1: Tasker Support via 3rd Party Plugin (requires Gentle Alarm v3.0.0+)
Tasker has a 3rd party plugin for Gentle Alarm for actions and events. When creating an action or choosing an event in Tasker, simply select the 3rd party plugin, then Gentle Alarm. Please note that not all events and actions are supported for the trial version of Gentle Alarm.

ACTIONS (Tasker can execute the following actions)
When choosing an action, the Tasker plugin has two variables, "Name", and "Set":
  • Name: selects specific alarm by name; or selects ALL alarms if no name is specified
  • Set: Enables the alarm(s) if checked or disables the alarm(s) otherwise.
EVENTS (Tasker can react on events)
You can choose from the following events and have Tasker do something when one of these events occur:
  • Alarm begins to play
  • Alarm is snoozed
  • Alarm is dismissed
All of the above events can be filtered by alarm name, message, profile, and alarm type. Alarm types are main alarm, pre-alarm, snooze alarm, safe alarm, or any type.

A few scenarios you can create:
  • If your location is Italy, turn all alarms off.
  • If the battery is below 30%, turn the night display off.
  • If the battery is below 15%, ring a safe alarm now.
  • When dismissing an alarm with profile 'weekend', start your favorite game.
  • When an alarm with profile "workday" starts, load weather report.

PART 2: Tasker Support via intents (requires Gentle Alarm v3.8.4+)
The following actions are supported in addition to those described above. If you have the trial version of GentleAlarm, you must use "gentlealarmtrial" instead of "gentlealarm".

ACTIONS (Tasker can execute the following actions)
When choosing an action in Tasker, choose "Misc", then "Send Intent". Set "Target" to "Broadcast Receiver". Set "Action" to one of the following (all other fields should remain empty):
  • com.mobitobi.android.gentlealarm.START_NIGHTDISPLAY: Starts the night display.
  • com.mobitobi.android.gentlealarm.END_NIGHTDISPLAY: Ends the night display.
  • com.mobitobi.android.gentlealarm.ACTION_SNOOZE: Snooze any currently playing alarm.
  • com.mobitobi.android.gentlealarm.ACTION_DISMISS: Dismiss any currently playing alarm.

Please note: If you start the night display via Tasker, you must be careful to understand what happens when the night display is active. There are many settings for the night display in Gentle Alarm, e.g. changing ringer mode etc. Activating the night display may change settings on your phone according to the settings in Gentle Alarm. You probably want to reset these settings to their original state when exiting the night display. This will only be done if you use the above intent to end the night display or if you press the BACK button yourself. The night display will not reset the settings if you end it via the HOME button or if you launch another app that then hides the night display in the background.

Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:33 am
Profile Send private message

Post Re: Tasker
Feature request: Ability for alarms to be set to go off after a certain amount of time upon being activated. Kind of like a quick alarm but it would stay in the alarm list so Tasker could enable it. This wouldn't require an update to Tasker like the proposed quick alarm feature.

Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:01 am
Site Admin

How would that work? Let's say you have an alarm "work". You can set it via Tasker now. But now you would need additional options in GA so that setting the alarm would in fact reschedule the alarm to run in x minutes. And x can not be changed from Tasker. Unless I misunderstood what you meant, this seems cumbersome. Many users would like to determine the time for the alarm from within Tasker and that does require a change for Tasker. But that's not an issue. I just want to bundle changes so the developer of Tasker an myself will have to make a change only once, not several times. Otherwise we will get a version mess.

Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:16 am

AndroidMod wrote:
How would that work? Let's say you have an alarm "work". You can set it via Tasker now. But now you would need additional options in GA so that setting the alarm would in fact reschedule the alarm to run in x minutes. And x can not be changed from Tasker. Unless I misunderstood what you meant, this seems cumbersome. Many users would like to determine the time for the alarm from within Tasker and that does require a change for Tasker. But that's not an issue. I just want to bundle changes so the developer of Tasker an myself will have to make a change only once, not several times. Otherwise we will get a version mess.

If quick alarms through Tasker are coming, my request is not necessary. I was just proposing a way that an update to Tasker wouldn't be necessary.

Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:34 pm

I am pretty new to Tasker but would love to see some examples on how to add/delete/skip an Quick Alarm using Tasker.

Thanks,
Eric

Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:00 am
Site Admin

At this point you can not create an alarm via Tasker. You have to create the alarm manually in the list of alarms (don't create it via quick alarm). You can name the alarm anything you want. Then you can enable or disable this alarm via tasker based on conditions.

Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:32 am

I have set up, in Gentle Alarm, 2 alarms based on whether or not I work from home. What I am trying to figure out is how I can disable, or more ideally SKIP, an alarm based on whether or not I have VACATION listed in my calendar.

If there are any examples of anything similar, that would be great.

Thanks,
Eric

Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:07 am
Site Admin

You can't skip an alarm based on Tasker.

As for switching alarms on and off based on keywords in your calendar, I believe one user wrote me who had done something like this. I am not using Tasker myself and I unfortunately lack the time to go deeper into this. Maybe another user here can help out and describe the steps necessary?

Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:38 pm

I proposed a GentleAlarm feature to dismiss current alarm by shaking the device - if you add the possibility to cancel current running alarm this can be done by tasker.

Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:40 pm
Site Admin

I didn't know that. Thanks for pointing it out. I added it to the list of proposed actions.

Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:25 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next