View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:40 am

Screen left on after GA awakens 

Post Screen left on after GA awakens
Starting a few weeks ago (around the time my Galaxy S6 updated from 5.1.1 to 6.0.1), when I press either Snooze or Off, my display remains on. This also happens without any button push when the pre-alarm happens half an hour before alarm time. I'm not sure if the display would turn off when my general setting expires (set to 2 minutes, I think) or not. I _think_ the display is on the whole time between the pre-alarm and the alarm, but I'm generally sleeping then, so I'm not sure.

I preferred the previous behavior. Any ideas?

Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:02 am
Profile Send private message
Site Admin

Post Re: Screen left on after GA awakens
Here's how it should be (verified on Nexus 6 running Android 6.0.1), assuming the screen is locked and turned off.

When the alarm (or pre-alarm) rings, the screen will unlock and turn on. When you press OFF or SNOOZE, the alarm stops and the screen will lock immediately but will remain on for a few seconds. After a few seconds, the screen should turn off.

Now there are a lot of settings in Android that could change that behavior, e.g. the time after which the display turns off.

Anyhow, it doesn't take much time to try this on your own and I can't spare you from having to do this as different devices may behave different in this regard. Android is notorious this way. Set an alarm to play in 2 minutes (not 20 seconds or so, please use at least 2 minutes so the phone has time to go to sleep). Turn the screen off. Now let it sit for the 2 minutes or so until the alarm comes on. Turn the alarm off. See if the phone locks. Check after another minute or so if the screen is still on. It shouldn't.

Please write again if the problem persists.

Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:22 am

Tested everything except the pre-alarm. In all cases, screen times out in 5 minutes instead of "a few seconds", as it always had before.

Again, I'm guessing it probably started when Marshmallow replaced Lollipop on my Galaxy S6.

Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:16 am
Site Admin

That's very disappointing. Let's find out if it has anything to do with Gentle Alarm or not. Can you do the same test with the stock alarm?

Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:22 am

With Gentle Alarm, phone wakes up to Gentle Alarm app. After Off is pushed, goes to Home screen until 5-minute display setting is reached, then display turns off.

With stock alarm, phone wakes to alarm notification. After dismissal, goes to Lock screen for 3 seconds, then display turns off.

Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:27 am
Site Admin

Thanks for running the test. There's clearly something wrong. Strange though, that I can't repeat the issue on my devices.
Can you contact me at "developers@mobitobi.com"? It will be easier for me to communicate with you that way.

Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:35 pm