Re: Permission for "full internet access"
Gentle Alarm asks for lots of permission and I can understand your curiosity.
I will at some point make this more transparent in my FAQ, just quickly for now:
- I need SD card write access to write a log file that you can use yourself; it is like a wake up diary
- I need phone state access to I can respond if the phone rings in the middle of an alarm
- I need internet access to allow users to send me information if they choose so. Unfortunately, there are no conditional permissions. So even if you always decide not to send me any information when a crash happens, I still need the permission.
There are two more reasons for Internet permission:
- If you paid via Paypal, you have to enter a key to unlock the app. This key is checked at some point when you are online every 3 months.
- And for market users such as system is coming. Google recently added a licensing scheme as a minor step against piracy and you will start seeing this used in more and more apps. The app needs to call Google servers to check if the license is valid. Results are cached so that the app also works if online for extended periods of time.
The latter two reasons are unfortunate. But for every legal copy I sell, there are more than 3 illegal ones out there. There are even some people who bundle apps and sell them at a discount. Piracy has gone out of hand and if developers don't earn money with their apps, there will be fewer quality apps in the future.
I will gladly discuss any concerns you may have.